|Snake of Clearing Eyes|
|Rōmaji||Me ga Saeru Hebi|
|Eye color||Red (Snake, Manga Black Konoha)|
Yellow (Black Konoha)
Sentience Lost / Surrogate life for Hiyori Asahina (Mekakucity Actors)
Trapped in the Kagerou Daze while in Konoha's body (Manga Route 2, Novel Route)
Turned to stone in Konoha's body (Music Route)
Keiji Fujiwara (As Kenjirou)
Kagerou Daze Vol. 4, 16. Headphone Actor III (As Kenjirou, physical appearance)
Kagerou Daze II -a headphone actor-, Yuukei Yesterday III (As Kenjirou, mentioned)
Act 07: Konoha no Sekai Jijou (As Kenjirou, physical appearance/As a snake)
|“||That's it! Just like that! Start over again, from the beginning! Relive this never-ending, ultimate nightmare one more time!||”|
The Snake of Clearing Eyes (目が冴える蛇 Me ga Saeru Hebi), also known as Black Konoha (黒コノハ Kuro Konoha) when possessing Konoha, is one of Azami's snakes and the one who suggested creating the Kagerou Daze to her. Kenjirou becomes its new owner in most Routes, when it possesses him at night to fulfill his main wish to see his wife again. It is the main antagonist of the story.
It was created by Azami's very first desire and wish to know and understand who she is. Because of this, it serves its master's current biggest wish and has a wide degree of knowledge. When Azami's biggest wish changed from the one that created it, it decided to rebel against her by tricking her into trapping herself into the Kagerou Daze and then forward its plans to force the next Medusa, Azami's granddaughter Marry, to rewind the world.
- In its true form, the Snake of Clearing Eyes is, like all of Azami's other snakes, a solid black snake with deep red eyes, a lighter underbelly and a purple tongue.
- Possessing Kenjirou does not affect his appearance besides giving him red eyes, the usual effect of using an eye ability. When possessing Konoha, however, it uses his Awakening Eyes to change his appearance. Konoha's white hair and shirt become black, and his yellow headphones, pants, and the arrows on his neckband and boots become gray. His eyes and the circles below his right eye become yellow as well.
- In Manga Route 2, he uses Awakening Eyes to once again change his body to make Hiyori unable to find him with Focusing Eyes. In this new form, he has black scales on his face and especially around his eyes, long hair that ends in a braid, a pair of small, black horns, red eyes, and a new outfit. This outfit consists of a black crop top with a high collar over a red and black full-body outfit with Konoha's straps. He has a long, white sash with bloodstains at its ends wrapped around his arms.
- The Snake of Clearing Eyes is by far the most intelligent of all of Azami's snakes, as it is capable of reasoning and doing things other than just serving its purpose of fulfilling its master's biggest desire. However, its plans must align with said desire. For Azami, it uses her new wish to be with her family forever to manipulate her into creating the Kagerou Daze, where time doesn't move forward, so that she can be separated from the world that changed her wish. When possessing Kenjirou, it uses his wish to reunite with his wife, who is trapped in the Kagerou Daze, for its plan to to create a new Medusa in the real world, which includes pulling the rest of Azami's snakes out of the Kagerou Daze and killing all the snake owners, so she can merge reality and the Daze together. When possessing Hibiya, it feeds on his wish to save Hiyori, whom he thinks is in the Kagerou Daze.
- It can be considered evil and malicious. It uses its wide degree of knowledge to amass a large amount of power and money under Kenjirou's name. It is what makes Takane and Haruka become Kenjirou's students, which then allows it to orchestrate their deaths. It also uses Kenjirou to cause Hibiya and Hiyori's deaths. This is all to bring the rest of Azami's snakes from the Kagerou Daze to the real world and to Marry.
- While possessing Konoha at the end of every Route, the snake takes on an even crueler character. It murders the Mekakushi Dan with its own hands and weapons and, usually while laughing and sneering. It does all this despite claiming to love humans, and it tends to look down on them as well. Sometimes, Konoha tries to take control of his body back, but he is unable to do so for more than a short time.
- Its true goal is to make Marry use Combining Eyes to rewind the world back to its beginning, as it detests the world and finds it unfit for its master, Azami, and the wish she made that created it. It also says that by rewinding the world, it preserves its own life, since it will stop existing if its owner's wish is completely fulfilled in any Route.
- Awakening Eyes (目を醒ます Me wo Samasu): The Snake of Clearing Eyes ultimately takes full control of Konoha body when it is possessing him outside of the Kagerou Daze. It uses his superhuman abilities along with guns to overpower the Mekakushi Dan. It also knows how to use Awakening Eyes to rebuild its body to be immune to attacks from other eye abilities. Awakening Eyes also allows it to change Konoha's physical characteristics and clothing to its liking.
- Despite that they are all different characters, The Snake of Clearing Eyes, Konoha, and Haruka all share the same voice actor, Mamoru Miyano. This is even when the Snake of Clearing Eyes is in his regular form.
- The Snake of Clearing Eyes, while possessing Konoha, is widely known under the alias "Dark Konoha" or "Kuroha" (A mix between "Kuro", the Japanese word for "Black" and Konoha) by the fans of the series. However, it was eventually confirmed in Animeju's August issue that the official name for the Snake of Clearing Eyes while using Konoha's body is Black Konoha (Kuro Konoha). He was mistakenly believed to be an alternative personality of Konoha for a long time.
- He is referred to as Outer Science Person (アウターサイエンスの人 Autāsaiensu no Hito) by Sayuki in character art for the KagePro Song Popularity Ranking 2019.
- His only official "profile" (as of 2019) is included in the 2014 Mekakucity Actors anime feature for the magazine Spoon. 2Di, Volume 44.
- In that article, almost all information for him was displayed as various amounts of question marks, such as ???cm for height, ??kg for weight, ? for his blood type, and ?(month) ?(year) for his birthday. Even his name was given in question marks as ???【???】, along with his "Mekakushi Dan No." (number) as ?.
- This was despite the fact Konoha had a section already in the same issue, though Konoha was also displayed with Haruka's statistics, which is typical for all of Konoha's official profiles.
- Since then, there's been statements by Jin that indicate that Konoha is a separate character from Haruka. It has since been confirmed in the manga.
- In Manga Route 2, the Snake of Clearing Eyes' backstory was revealed for the very first time in the chapter "No title". Though all other chapter titles were of existing song titles, this one does not reflect any existing song as of the manga's ending in February 2018.
- Towards the end of Manga Route 2, chapter titles that begin with "Additional Memory" and "Imaginary Reload" were first revealed in the same way. Both titles were later used as actual songs names.
- "No matter what you do, destiny won't change." - The Snake to Kano (Kagerou Daze V -the deceiving-)
- "You're all only living in the palm of my hand. Never forget that, brat." - The Snake to Kano (Kagerou Daze V -the deceiving-)
- "If he is dear to you, use your monstrous powers." - The Snake to Marry, while possessing Konoha (9.5 Marry's Fictional World)